Friday, June 02, 2006

Friday Five

Five things upon which I hold forth, hopefully briefly:

1. Books I'm currently reading:

My second to least favorite Agatha Christie, Ten Little Indians. Most of her books are rather lighthearted and have a good bit of humor in them, but this one seems completely grim. It just doesn't bring me the enjoyment that others do, but I'm on a quest to re-read all my ACs this summer. Also reading Georgette Heyer's April Lady, a regency romance from the grand dame of romance writing -- no sex, just excellent plot development, character development, and humor. Loads of fun.

2. Favorite part of the day:

This one varies -- usually it's the time just before dawn when the day seems to draw a deep breath -- the temperature drops a degree or two, there's a little light so that the world is exposed but just barely. It's quiet, and I feel as if I have the world to myself. I think it's the most private part of the day for me, as I sit at the dining room table with my freshly brewed coffee, looking out my front window at the bird feeders and the fountain. I start planning my day and reflect on yesterday.

3. A sound I like:

I like the sound of rain -- a medium rain. I suppose I really like the whole series of sounds around rain, as it were -- the wind whipping up, the warning drips on leaves, the first few spatters of rain on the ground, the smell of the start of a rainstorm. I also like to hear it raining steadily but gently. If it's too heavy or violent, then I start feeling cold or worried. I like the sound of the rain on the windows, on the roof, on the trees, and the little chirps the birds make as they seek shelter.

4. Describe a favorite comfort food meal:

Oh, this would have to be homemade meatloaf with real mashed potatoes, canned beans with bacon fat added, and a slice of pineapple upside down cake for dessert. I like a nice meatloaf even to this day, and I like mine better than the one my mother made -- I use canned diced tomatoes, flavored croutons, and I don't put catsup on top. I love mashed potatoes, and the ones I make nowadays are much less lumpy than the ones I grew up with (before those horrible instant potato flakes became all the rage). Growing up in the south, I know the secret to making mediocre food better is to add a little bacon fat. Works for everything except iced tea or dessert. Canned beans remind me of elementary school lunches and the cafeteria meals I used to eat with my parents when we'd go shopping. Pineapple upside down cake was a really popular dessert in the 60's, and it evokes lovely memories of time spent with my Dad, being little and seeing everything at a 3 foot high level. Especially if it's still warm. Mmmmmm.

5. Describe something out of the ordinary you've done or will do by midnight Saturday:

Well, my 46th birthday was this week, so we went out to dinner to the local Chinese eatery. I don't know what else to say about that, but when we came home, we had a nice cake and talked about what we need to do tomorrow, which is get my father-in-law into care immediately. His dementia is accelerating, or perhaps my mom-in-law is asking for help more and being more open. It's all the way to incontinence, behaving with aggression towards their pets, wandering at night, not sleeping, refusing to change out of soiled clothes, and becoming combative. He needs professional help ASAP, and my husband has asked me to go with him to his folks' house tomorrow and get this done. He did the groundwork by phone with his mom already today. Keep me in your prayers and cross your fingers, too!

No comments: