Friday, October 13, 2006

Five Things I Like About October

1. Autumn Leaves – I love the colors of Fall. I really like driving along with the leaves falling all around in a shower of color, and I like watching the trees slowly showing their winter skeletons. I love a yard carpeted in a riot of autumn colors. I think it’s so beautiful.

2. Cooler weather – Boy, is it nice to turn off the air conditioning and only need the heat every so often. I can air out the house, wear long sleeves, break out the warm woolies, and start knitting heavier items like afghans and adult sweaters.

3. Halloween – we don’t get many trick-or-treaters, since we’re off the beaten path somewhat, but I do like seeing their hopeful little faces all painted up, standing at the door. They always look like they wonder if I’m really going to come through with candy or if I’m going to be one of those ardent people who gives them a tiny toothbrush and teensy tube of toothpaste, or a damned box of raisins or a granola bar. Trust me, you come to my house trick-or-treating, you get chocolate. I’m easy.

4. Routine for school year is set – By this point in the school year, the kids have settled into their routines and so have the teachers. Paperwork is being generated predictably, everyone’s following the calendar, and this year’s round of colds and flu haven’t started up yet. I can take a few deep breaths before the onslaught of Thanksgiving, December birthdays, and Christmas, and just unwind a little. It’s a nice pause.

5. Letter Writing -- Part of my taking a little break is writing letters I never seem to have time for any other time of year. Real letters, the kind with paper and my good fountain pen and stamps. I used to be a prodigious letter writer and then I had kids. Then email came along and letter-writing became less necessary to keep in contact with friends and family. I still like it, it’s an experience and an art unto itself, and I like to keep in practice. So, before it’s time to send out Christmas cards, I like to send a real letter or funny card to friends and relatives to let them know I’m thinking of them.

2 comments:

Makeuprtista said...

Dear BOS,

I'm wondering if you saw Project Runway this week. Did you see part one of the season finale? I don't know anyone else who watches it and I'd love to discuss it with someone.

Kimberley

Makeuprtista said...

Oops! I forgot to give you my e-mail address. It's kimberley@makeuprtista.com

Kimberley