Thursday, May 04, 2006

KNIT STUFF: STAINED GLASS HAT

This was fun to make -- I used one skein of variegated sock yarn and one of plain black sock yarn, size 2 (US) dpns, cast on 120, and ... whee! The hard part, as always, when winging it, is deciding how to decrease and end the hat. The picture below right shows my spontaneous choice for this one. Sometimes it's a real booger trying to decide how to decrease and still maintain some pattern integrity. I occasionally wish I could just knit tubes, like machine made hats, and then sew them together after hacking off the tube... but that would look lousy, which is why I hand make these in the first place!

Sock yarn is a great choice for making hats -- they're not bulky, there are sufficient stitches to really get into a complex pattern, and it makes for less nonsense to drag around if I choose to work on it elsewhere.

Now, off to make matching mittens... ... Oh, nuts, how am I going to make a thumb that coordinates logically, oh, RATS... mumble, mumble, mumble...

No comments: