Thursday, May 04, 2006

SOCK KNITTING RUN AMOK!

Just after Thanksgiving 2005, Spawn asked me to make him a hat, but not just any hat, a hat that looked like a gym sock. He wanted to wear it to school during his senior year, I suppose as an expression of his wacky sense of humor. I asked him to draw up a rough sketch, including colors, and then we compared it against the (clean) gym socks currently in his drawer. I knew that knitting a vast expanse of plain white would bore the snot out of me, so we added the stripes at the top of the sock, and VOILA, the Gym Sock Hat was born. I had hedged and hemmed and hawed, telling him that I didn't think I'd be able to have it done in time for his birthday. I nearly didn't -- it was still damp from blocking when I wrapped it up and gave it to him. He loves it, and it made quite a hit at the high school. And, yes, that is Spawn wearing the sock.

No comments: